Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Another Season Is Upon Us













The leaves are changing, the wind is picking up, and the air smells like rain. Autumn in Portland is my absolute favorite time of year. Erhan and I decorated a little for Halloween already, and I am hoping to pick up a few pumpkins this coming weekend for our front porch.

Dallas is back in school. He started Junior High this year, and mom says he is all smiles every day walking to and from the bus. I am overjoyed he is loving his life. He is and always has been, such a care free child. There isn’t much that gets him down, and I believe him to be a true inspiration to us all. He is growing up so fast, but he still has that little boy in him I love so much. I am so proud of him.

Our summer was a very slow one. We didn’t have a lot of money this year, since I spent the majority of it unemployed. The heat was unbearable this year, and since we didn’t have air conditioning until the very last minute, we mostly melted and moaned on our couch for several weeks. We had many sleepless nights dreaming of winter. I was told by my cardiologist that I could go off of the heart medication I had been on since the beginning of April, due to a condition I had caused by an awful flu I contracted in March. I was so excited to be free of all of my medications, and given a clean bill of health by my Dr.s.

We did manage to take a few camping trips this summer. Our first trip was in June, for an overnight trip at Fort Stevens. We had a wonderful time, riding our bikes on the trails and breaking in our new tent. We rode ten miles on our bikes, the weather was just perfect. Fort Stevens was a lot of fun, and being that close to the beach was an even bigger bonus. We stood at the tip of the OR. Peninsula, and climbed through the old military barracks together. I hope to return to Fort Stevens many times during my lifetime, it’s an amazing campsite.

For our second trip, we celebrated our one year anniversary in the beginning of August by going to Florence OR, and then to Newport OR.. We camped in Florence and climbed the dunes, which was a beautiful experience. The view from the top, watching the sun set, is something I will remember forever, especially standing wrapped in Erhan’s arms. We went to the new casino in Florence during our stay. I lost $40 and Erhan made $40, so we ran out of there before we pressed out luck. We were rained out of our campsite on the second night in Florence, so we shacked up in a cozy little roadside motel that had HBO and a shower. I’m not much of a camper, so I couldn’t wait to shower off the dirt and turn on the TV! We drove to Newport the next morning and stayed at a nice oceanfront hotel for two nights. We enjoyed dinners out and a trip to old town and the aquarium, which was just beautiful. My favorite outing was the wax museum, in old town Newport. I always find wax museums campy, creepy and really fun. Erhan and I had a blast. He is so much fun to travel with, he is always up for anything. Erhan bought me a beautiful ring for my anniversary present and a bottle of my new favorite perfume. I couldn’t ask for a more considerate husband, who always knows the perfect gift to give. The trip was wonderful, but after four days of being away from our home, we couldn’t wait to get back to town.

We found out shortly after we returned from our trip, that we were going to have a baby! Erhan and I found out this past August, and we are so happy about the news. I am two months along right now, and have been feeling VERY morning sick. Everything seems to be progressing nicely, even though we did have a small scare last week, when we thought we might lose our “little bean”. I was put on bed rest and have since returned to my new job, feeling just fine…..besides the constant gagging. The two of us are focusing on our amazing future with our child. We are hoping for a healthy pregnancy and a safe delivery. My folks are overjoyed about the news of another grandchild, and Erhan’s parents are ready to embrace their first. I can’t wait to start picking out baby things, decorating the nursery and planning for many late night feedings, and before I know it, the teenage years. We are turning Erhan’s upstairs office into the baby’s room, and Erhan will be moving outside to our finished space to create an even larger studio for himself. We will find out the babies gender hopefully before Christmas time. The holidays are going to be very special this year. My parents are going to host Thanksgiving, and I am praying for tons of snow like we had last year!

No comments: