Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Time Gone By

As I read through this blog, I realize that time has truly made a fool of me again. It's hard to believe that our little Finn is turning one this May 11th. I feel as if we brought him home from the hospital just yesterday.
Summer was sleepless! Taking care of a little baby changed Erhan and my life in a million ways. We went from only taking care of ourselves, to 24/7 taking care of our little boy. Finn slept in our room during the month of June, and when he turned one month old we introduced him to his room and his crib. Finn started sleeping through the night in July, which was a huge relief for us. Erhan was only able to take two weeks off from work after Finn was born, so sleep for all of us was very needed and appreciated. It blew my mind how much advantage I took of being well rested. We were also surprised how much stuff we would need to cart around every time we wanted to leave the house! We felt like a traveling circus at times, but we took our little guy everywhere with us.
My parents gave Erhan and I a night away after the 4th of July, we were so lucky. We went camping at Fort Stevens with a few of our friends, the cool ocean air felt wonderful on our face.
The quiet of the woods, and the camp fire at night was something we truly needed. We took a walk down to the lake and breathed in the silence. Breakfast in Seaside the next morning with our friends was lovely, and Erhan and I felt refreshed and ready to head back into town after our night away. Note to self though, if you're getting away for the night to get more sleep somewhere, camping on the ground isn't really ideal. Next time, at least two nights and maybe a bed!
We had another chance to get out of town for our 2nd wedding anniversary in August, Erhan took me to Lincoln City for the night. We stayed in a late 60's style modern hotel (which I LOVED) with a Jacuzzi tub in the room. Heaven! We had a very romantic time, and enjoyed holding hands and walking along side the ocean together, and hitting the casino that night. We found ourselves forever changed though, when even on vacation we couldn't stop talking about little Finn, and what he might be doing, or if he missed us. We sure missed him!










We went to the OR. State Fair in September with our friends Rick and Sarah Grover. Finn didn't know what to think of all the animals, or the rides but we 'think' he had a good time. We used the baby bjorn for the first time, strapped to daddy's chest since he is the strongest. Whew! What a work out! How do people carry their children like this? Finn is a tall chap!I think devices like that are meant for smaller children, or for parents with backs of steel. I held Finn on my hip which seemed the most comfortable, and he took a few afternoon snoozes in his stroller under all the carnival excitment. We took him to feed the ducks one afternoon at Common Wealth Park and he was very fascinated with all the quaking! Erhan used to go to that park as a child, and we had returned many times over the years together. It was amazing having Finn with us this time.
The holidays came and went so quickly. For a while there I wasn't even sure what month it was, as Christmas decorations arrived in the stores right after school started up again. On Halloween night Finn fell asleep right before he was to go trick or treating for the 1st time. His little pumpkin bucket will have to wait until next year!
We had two Thanksgiving dinners this year, one each at Erhan and my folks house. Mom made an incredible meal, and so did Erhan's mom. We had more leftovers than we knew what to do with. We hoped for snow which never happened, it ended up being the rainiest winter we had ever seen.


Fall was beautiful this past year. The orange and yellow leaves on the ground were a sight for sore eyes after the summer we had. No longer were we cooking up in the bedroom, with the windows open. The season was changing, and the drive up my parents hill to their house always has the most beautiful trees on display, if only for a short while.
I loved to see our neighbors houses with pumpkins on display, and the smell of everyone's fireplaces in the air. The journey towards the holidays from summer is always an experience I want to remember.
Christmas was a whirlwind of presents, presents and more presents, along with traveling back and forth between families. Everyone was anxious to spend their 1st Christmas with Finn, and so were we! Unfortunately, the stomach flu got little Finn and I a week before Christmas, and Erhan broke his hand at the beginning of the month. We tried not to let it put a damper on enjoying the season, but it was tough work with one of us out an extra pair of hands and the other two of us without an appetite. I am proud that we managed to have a wonderful holiday despite not feeling well and we really enjoyed watching our little boy open his first Christmas presents. Hanging his stocking this year was so special. On Christmas night, Erhan and I spoke about next year, leaving milk and cookies out for Santa and cheerios for the reindeer with Finn. The magic is just starting for us, and as Finn grows and grows, more memories will be made. My parents used to go outside on Christmas Eve and throw little rocks on the roof to make us think Santa’s reindeer were landing, I loved them for that. I can't wait to start traditions with Finn, we feel so fortunate.
Erhan, the baby and I had a very quiet New Years Eve. It was the 1st year ever that we couldn't stay up to watch the ball drop in Times Square, we were too tired. On New Years Day (2011!) we celebrated my Birthday early with my family. Mom and Dad treated the entire family to a lovely dinner down by the lake in Murrayhill. Following, we had birthday cake back at my parent’s house with everyone. Taylor and his wife Vawna looked great! Mom decorated all of my birthday presents with pictures of Harry Potter (I was in the middle of reading all of the books. My father gifted them to me for Christmas, each book containing a quote on the first page).It was very sweet!
We celebrated my 33rd Birthday later that next weekend by heading up to Seattle (we seem to make this a tradition) to experience the "Harry Potter" exhibit at the Pacific Science Center. Mom and Dad offered to watch Finn for the weekend as a Birthday surprise (YES!) and Erhan and I took off to go be adults for while accompanied by our good friends the Grover's.
We had such a fun time at the museum, I am a HUGE Harry Potter fan. The exhibit was awesome, and a really great Birthday present. Thanks Erhan! That night the four of us went out to dinner at a great Italian restaurant called "Buca di Beppo" (YUM!). We had a wonderful meal. Erhan and I caught up on some much needed rest in the beautiful hotel we stayed in, then on my real Birthday the next morning we had breakfast out and walked around Pike Market.
I love to visit Seattle in January, we always get lucky with a clear sunny day. The weather is always on our side, we couldn't have asked for a better weekend away!
Erhan celebrated his birthday with a group of our dear friends at P.F. Changs. Erhan's parents watched the baby so we could have a nice night out. We had cake back at our place and played Pop Culture Trivial pursuit with everyone. It was shameful how off our game Erhan and I were!
I have been recently given the amazing opportunity to be a "stay at home mom". I feel so lucky to be able to spend the days with my little cutie pie Finn. Finn being the little cupid that he is, decided he wanted to hand out personalized cards to all of his friends at Partridge House for Valentines Day.
The memory's from my childhood came rushing back, as I tore along the dotted lines and wrote everyone's name out on the back of Finn's Valentines. The cards and a tiny scoop of conversation hearts (they encourage reading, right?) were wrapped up neatly in their own heart shaped cellophane bag. I remember coming home after school with my box of Valentines, and going through them over and over again!
Making Valentines with Finn was very special. He sat in his seat next to me, so curious as to what I was making. He grabbed at my heart shaped bags, and made sure he licked a few Valentines. I'm looking forward to when he is a little older and decorating his own handmade Valentines. Probably putting glitter on everything, even himself.

No comments: